How-to Install iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad
December 12, 2011 in iPhone How-to & Tutorial by
To install iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, you will need an Internet access on your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad or the computer where you will update the iOS. iOS 5.0.1 can be installed on iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad if the iOS 5.0.1 is currently the latest software update, whenever a new sofware update released by Apple, you will no longer be able to update to iOS 5.0.1 but to the recently released iOS version instead.
How-to Install iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad through OTA Updates
Updating iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad to iOS 5.0.1 through OTA update is a lot easier because the downloaded file size is smaller compared to standard IPSW downloads, therefore making the installation process more quickly. Installing iOS 5.0.1 via OTA updates also get rid of the need to connect your device to a computer when updating the software.
Assuming that the iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad is connected to the Internet and contains no less than a half of battery life (or is connected to a power outlet), then the device can get the update, without computer required. You may install iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad through 3G or Wi-Fi connectivity, however a faster and stable Wi-Fi connection would be recommended.
Before you can update iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad to iOS 5.0.1 through OTA updates, you must have iOS 5 already installed because OTA updates is a new feature that only exist since iOS 5 (iOS 4, iOS 3 and older version doesn’t support Over The Air iOS updates).
Steps to Install iOS 5.0.1 on on iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad over-the-air (OTA updates)
- Do this on your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad: Tap Settings → General &rarr Software Update.
- See the detailed information about the available iOS update
- Tap Download and Install
- You will be prompted to agree the Terms and Conditions and please accept the agreement to continue.
And in case you are not connected to an electricity supply, you will receive a pop-up alert advising you to connect the device into it. If you have quite speedy internet connection, it should be done downloading within a couple of minutes.
Keep the iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad doing its job alone and it will automatically restart and take care of the installation.
How-to Install iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone through iTunes
Updating iPhone to iOS 5.0.1 through iTunes by using a computer is the older method of installing iOS software which is the only option pre-iOS 5 era. But updating software with iTunes is still the only option if your iPhone bricked or unable to update through OTA updates.
- Download iOS 5.0.1 IPSW file. Make sure to download the correct iOS version for your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad model.
- You must have the latest iTunes software installed on your Windows or Mac computer.
- Open the iTunes and connect the iPhone to the computer with USB cable.
- Now HOLD on the CTRL (ALT/Option on Mac) button on keyboard and click Restore button on iTunes.
- You will be prompted to select the iOS 5.0.1 IPSW file that you have downloaded on step#1.
- Click Open and iTunes will start updating iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad to iOS to 5.0.1 version.
- Once done, iPhone will restart and you will have iOS 5.0.1 installed.
Please comment if you have any question or problem while installing iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad.