How to Jailbreak iOS 5/5.0.1 with redsn0w 0.9.9b8 (Mac and Windows)
November 5, 2011 in How-to Jailbreak by
Editor's Note: Factory Unlock your iPhone → http://unlock.senseiphone.com/
Jailbreak your iDevice running iOS 5!
“redsn0w version 0.9.9b8 will natively recognize the 5.0.1 beta that Apple let developers start testing this week (so you don’t have to play the “point at 5.0 IPSW” trick). Because the IPSW isn’t public, you’ll still need to provide it once to redsn0w (at which point it will cache all the important pieces so you don’t need to select it again).
For those 3GS and i4 users who preserve their baseband, the Mac version can also produce the NO_BB_* custom IPSWs for 5.0.1. (But please note that ultrasn0w doesn’t get updated for betas like this.)” – iPhone-Dev
**THIS IS A TETHERED JAILBREAK ONLY!**
WHAT IS A TETHERED JAILBREAK? A tethered jailbreak require a computer connection to boot a jailbroken iOS device. This meaning you will have to run Redsn0w and boot it up that way each time your battery dies or you need to reboot.
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 1
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
**If your device is not listed above, please do not attempt to jailbreak AND if you rely on a software unlock and don’t have an older boot rom, STAY AWAY from iOS 5 altogether.**
What you need
- iOS 5 installed or iOS 5.0.1 BETA [if you are a developer] installed on your iDevice
- redsn0w 0.9.9b8 for Mac
redsn0w 0.9.9b8 for Windows
How to Jailbreak iOS 5 with redsn0w 0.9.9b8 on Mac or Windows: (Watch the video for more details)
- Connect iDevice via USB to your computer
- Launch Redsn0w
If you are running redsn0w on Windows, you will need set redsn0w compatibility mode as Windows XP then launch redsn0w by double-clicking on redsn0w.exe
- Select Jailbreak
- Set your iDevice in DFU mode:
- Turn OFF iDevice
- Hold POWER button for 3 seconds
- Simultaneously hold POWER and HOME button for 10 seconds
- Let go of POWER button while still holding HOME button for 15 seconds
- Once you’ve successfully entered DFU mode, you will see the progress of redsn0w preparing jailbreak data. Then, you will see redsn0w options, like:
Install Cydia, Install custom bundle, Enable multitask gestures, Deactivate.
- You just need to select Install cydiaoption then click Next and let the process running.
- **Cydia & Safari will not work unless you do the following steps!**
- After RedSn0w finishes doing its thing, you must turn off again and boot up through Redsn0w
- Open Redsn0w again, and click “Extras” & click on “Just Boot”
- Again, set iDevice in DFU like in Step 4
- Your iDevice will perform a tethered boot and you should be good to go!
**Steps 7-9 is what you will ALWAYS have to do in order for iDevice to boot back up if battery dies or you reboot your iDevice. **
Join SenseiPhone on