How to Jailbreak iOS 5 with redsn0w 0.9.9b6 (Mac and Windows)
October 19, 2011 in How-to Jailbreak
Permanent Factory Unlock iPhone service for almost ANY CARRIERS worldwide. Contact Us if your iPhone carrier not listed
Jailbreak your iDevice running iOS 5!
“We’ve released version 0.9.9b6 of redsn0w, with both a functional fix and cosmetic fix for iOS5 jailbreakers. For iPhone 3GS owners with the 06.15 baseband, this redsn0w eliminates the network crash you saw when using Location Services in iOS5 (in fact, you don’t even need to disable Location Services anymore during the initial setup). The cosmetic fix is to the visual countdown you see when going into DFU mode.
It’s okay to re-run this redsn0w over an existing device jailbroken at iOS5. Just choose “Jailbreak” again and de-select Cydia (in other words, all the checkboxes will be unchecked). If you are lucky enough to have an old-bootrom iPhone3GS, please pre-select the IPSW first (redsn0w can’t yet auto-detect the FW version of your old-bootrom 3GS if it’s already been jailbroken).” – iPhone-Dev
**THIS IS A TETHERED JAILBREAK ONLY!**
WHAT IS A TETHERED JAILBREAK? A tethered jailbreak require a computer connection to boot a jailbroken iOS device. This meaning you will have to run Redsn0w and boot it up that way each time your battery dies or you need to reboot.
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 1
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
**If your device is not listed above, please do not attempt to jailbreak AND if you rely on a software unlock and don’t have an older boot rom, STAY AWAY from iOS 5 altogether.**
What you need
How to Jailbreak iOS 5 with redsn0w 0.9.9b6 on Mac or Windows: (Watch the video for more details)
- Connect iDevice via USB to your computer
- Launch Redsn0w
If you are running redsn0w on Windows, you will need to do the following steps before launching the redsn0w:
- Select Jailbreak
- Set your iDevice in DFU mode:
- Turn OFF iDevice
- Hold POWER button for 3 seconds
- Simultaneously hold POWER and HOME button for 10 seconds
- Let go of POWER button while still holding HOME button for 15 seconds
- Once you’ve successfully entered DFU mode, you will see the progress of redsn0w preparing jailbreak data. Then, you will see redsn0w options, like:
Install Cydia, Install custom bundle, Enable multitask gestures, Deactivate.
- You just need to select Install cydiaoption then click Next and let the process running.
- **Cydia & Safari will not work unless you do the following steps!**
- After RedSn0w finishes doing its thing, you must turn off again and boot up through Redsn0w
- Open Redsn0w again, and click “Extras” & click on “Just Boot”
- Again, set iDevice in DFU like in Step 4
- Your iDevice will perform a tethered boot and you should be good to go!
**Steps 7-9 is what you will ALWAYS have to do in order for iDevice to boot back up if battery dies or you reboot your iDevice. **