How-to Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 with redsn0w (Tethered)
Permanent Factory Unlock iPhone service for almost ANY CARRIERS worldwide. Contact Us if your iPhone carrier not listed
How-to Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 with redsn0w (Tethered). This is not untethered, but only tethered jailbreak.
- This is iOS 5.1.1 jailbreak for iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, 4G and also iPad 1. Jailbreak iPad 2, iPad 3 and iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1 is not supported.
- If you unlock with GEVEY or Ultrasn0w, DO NOT update to the stock iOS 5.1.1 firmware. Skip to the latter part of this guide for more info.
- You will be booting tethered quite a bit, so if you don’t think you can deal with constantly connecting and rebooting, wait for an untethered or downgrade to iOS 5.0.1. See Difference between Tethered, Untethered, Semi-Tethered
With all that said and out of the way, lets get started!
Requirements to jailbreak iOS 5.1.1:
to Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 using redsn0w
- Check your iPhone model, iPod Touch model, or iPad modeland make sure it is listed in supported device list below.Supported devices:
- iPhone 4 GSM
- iPhone 4 CDMA
- iPhone 3GS
- iPad 1
- iPod Touch 3rd Generation
- iPod Touch 4th Generation
**If your device is not listed above, please do not attempt to jailbreak AND if you rely on a software unlock, USE CUSTOM IPSW ONLY!
- Check your iOS version: Make sure that the version is 5.1.1 (9B206).
How to Jailbreak iOS 5.1.1 with RedSn0w 0.9.10b8b on Mac or Windows:
(Watch the video below for illustration guide)
- Connect iDevice via USB to your computer
- Launch Redsn0w
If you are running redsn0w on Windows, you will need to set up the redsn0w.exe compatibility mode and run redsn0w as administratorbefore launching the redsn0w.
- Click on Extras → Select IPSW and select the iOS 5.1 IPSW file that you have downloaded. Remember, you should download and select iOS 5.1 IPSW, not iOS 5.1.1.
- Once redsn0w recognizes the 5.1 IPSW file, click back to go back to the main screen
- Click Jailbreak
- Set your iDevice in DFU mode:
- Turn OFF iDevice
- Hold POWER button for 3 seconds
- Simultaneously hold POWER and HOME button for 10 seconds
- Let go off the POWER button while still holding HOME button for 15 seconds
- Once you’ve successfully entered DFU mode, RedSn0w will identify your firmware aka IPSW along with options, like: Install Cydia, Install custom bundle, Enable multitask gestures, Deactivate.
- You only need to select “Install Cydia” option then click Next and let the process run.
- Now you will see your iDevice preparing the Jailbreak data!
- Click back on RedSn0w and select Extras then on Just Boot.
This will perform a tethered boot so you can use the device as normal. Without doing this, your devicie will stuck on Apple logo/startup screen.
- Set iDevice to DFU mode as we did earlier, and let it run again.
- Once iDevice is booted back up, you should be able to use the device as normal and you will see a Cydia app icon which means that your iDevice is already jailbroken.
Note To Unlockers:
If you use the GEVEY SIM interposer or Ultrasn0w to unlock your iPhone, you will need to create a custom .iPSW, in order to preserve your baseband. In Redsn0w, select “Extras”, then “Custom IPSW”, locate your custom iOS 5.1.1 IPSW file, and let Redsn0w work its magic. Then enter pwned DFU mode (Extras → Pwned DFU) and restore to your custom firmware via iTunes. After that, you’ll be able to unlock with GEVEY or Ultrasn0w (when it is available).