How to Open .ZIP and .RAR Files on iOS iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch
How to Open ZIP and RAR Files on the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch?
It’s uncommon you receive email with an attachment in zip format. Or you want to download a zip file while browsing the web. The built-in Mail app or Safari browser, however, is not capable to unzip the compressed file. So how can you open a zip file on iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch?
Although there are many solutions available for opening .ZIP files on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, now it has become even more convenient to do so, thanks to the official iOS client for WinZip, which made its way to the App Store pretty recently. I think I don’t have to introduce Winzip since WinZIP is the leader of file compression and it’s been familiar with most computer users.
You may download WinZIP for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad here:
So, what you can do with WinZIP app for iOS?
• Browse and view the contents of your Zip or RAR files
• Extract files from Zip or RAR files to view or edit in another app
• Open encrypted* Zip files (advanced AES encryption is not yet supported)
• Copy the contents of Zip files to the clipboard
• Open Zip and RAR files from webmail (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
You may also view any of the following types of files inside your Zip or RAR file
• Word documents (.doc, .docx)
• Excel spreadsheets (.xls, .xlsx)
• PowerPoint presentations (.ppt, .pptx)
• PDF files (.pdf)
• Photos and images (.jpg, .jpeg, .png, .bmp, .gif, .tif, .tiff)
• Text files (.txt, .ini, .inf, .bat, .js, .log, .xml, .css, .java, .cs, .h, .m, .cpp, .c, .sql)
• Web documents (.htm, .html, .jsp, .asp)
• Rich Text Format documents (.rtf)
• Keynote presentations (.key)
• Numbers spreadsheets (.numbers)
• Pages documents (.pages)
WinZip makes it easy to handle Zip and RAR files on your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch!
Whether you received a Zip or RAR file as an email attachment, or want to download and view the contents of a Zip or RAR file from the web, simply tap “Open with WinZip“.