Restore iPhone Contacts from iTunes mddata backup file.
This tutorial will guide you how-to restore contacts from iTunes backup.
It will be useful for people who lost their iPhone, unable to restore the backup file into new iPhone, corrupted iTunes backup, or simply want to restore iPhone contacts without restoring any other data (music, photo, messages, mail, apps, etc) while the only hope is on iTunes backup file.
Requirements to restore iPhone contacts from iTunes backup file
- iFunBox for Windows (use Cyberduck or DiskAid for Mac users)
- iTunes mddata backup file of contacts. (see: get mddata iTunes backup files)
- Jailbroken iPhone with OpenSSH cydia tweak installed.
Step-by-step restoring iPhone contacts
- Find iTunes mddata backup file for contacts information, which is 31bb7ba8914766d4ba40d6dfb6113c8b614be442, from Backup folder.
- Make a copy of 31bb7ba8914766d4ba40d6dfb6113c8b614be442 file and rename it to AddressBook.sqlitedb
- Copy the AddressBook.sqlitedb into iPhone using iFunBox.
- Open iFunBox → Raw File System → go to /private/var/mobile/Library/AddressBook directory.
- Click Copy From PC (located on iFunBox toolbar menu) then select the AddressBook.sqlitedb file from your computer.
- Change the AddressBook.sqlitedb permission through iFunBox. Right click on AddressBook.sqlitedb → Permissions. Make sure that owner and group belongs to mobile, not root (see screenshoot below for details).
- Respring/Reboot your iPhone. Now you should be able to get back your lost iPhone contacts.
I suggest you to turn on iCloud in Settings to let your iPhone saves the backup of your contacts, calendar, notes, etc automatically.