How-to Restore (Reset) iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch Software
August 2, 2012 in iPhone How-to & Tutorial by
Editor's Note: Factory Unlock your iPhone → http://unlock.senseiphone.com/
You can remove all settings and information from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch by restoring iPhone/iPod/iPad software on iTunes.
Try restoring the iOS device if backing up and erasing all content and settings doesn’t resolve the issue. Using iTunes to restore iOS devices is part of standard isolation troubleshooting. Restoring your device will delete all data and content, including songs, videos, contacts, photos, and calendar information, and will restore all settings to their factory condition.
Before restoring your iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, I recommend you to sync with iTunes to transfer any purchases you have made directly from iOS device, or back up new data (data acquired after your last sync).
Follow these steps to restore iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch:
- Verify that you are using the latest version of iTunes before attempting to restore.
- Connect your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch to your computer.
- Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when it appears in iTunes under Devices.
- Select the Summary tab.
- Select the Restore option.
- When prompted to back up your settings before restoring, select the Back Up option (see in the image below). If you have just backed up the device, it is not necessary to create another.
- Select the Restore option when iTunes prompts you (as long as you’ve backed up, you should not have to worry about restoring your iOS device).
- When the restore process has completed, the device restarts and displays the Apple logo while starting up:
After a restore, the iOS device displays the “Connect to iTunes” screen. For updating to iOS 5 or later, follow the steps in the iOS Setup Assistant. For earlier versions of iOS (iOS 4.x, iOS 3.x), keep your device connected until the “Connect to iTunes” screen goes away or you see “iPhone is activated”
If you are unable to activate the iPhone, you can hacktivate it instead (READ: How-to Hacktivate iPhone iOS 5 (Activate iPhone without SIM Card)
- The final step is to restore your device from a previous backup.
If you have trouble while restoring the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch software, post your question on SenseiPhone forum.
Join SenseiPhone on