How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 Untethered with redsn0w 0.9.10b4 [Fixes iBooks issues]
January 17, 2012 in iPhone Fix & Repair by
RedSn0w was just recently updated to 0.9.10b4! Fixes iBooks issues!
Update #4: The b4 version of redsn0w incorporates the 5.0.1 fix for iBooks, and also for sporadic problems with launchctl. Thanks to @xvolks for merging the iBooks (sandbox) fix from @comex’s github into the overall corona untether from @pod2g! As usual, you can choose to install the fix either by re-running redsn0w over your existing jailbreak (de-select Cydia if you do that), or by installing the corona package from Cydia (it’s the same set of files no matter which way you choose).
- If you are Jailbroken already on iOS 5.0.1 with the past redsn0w’s:
then you can still run this jailbreak over that jailbreak. You will simply have to UNCHECK “Install Cydia” in redsn0w when you are prompted that screen.
- If you are running a TETHERED Jailbreak on 5.0.1, simply download “Coronoa 5.0.1 Untether” from Cydia. This will convert you from a TETHERED state to an UNTETHERED state with it being installed on your device. [YOU MUST BE JAILBROKEN ON 5.0.1 FOR IT TO WORK]
What does UNTETHERED mean?
UNTETHERED JAILBREAK means you can use your device as normal, unlike tethered jailbreak.
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 1
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
iPhone 4S and iPad 2 are NOT supported [yet].
Jailbreak is due out REAL soon for iPhone 4S & iPad 2 [possibly a couple days] so be sure to follow @SenseiPhone & @JBTech17 for the latest Jailbreaks! [Click for information on iPhone 4S & iPad 2 Untethered Jailbreak [VIDEO]]
**If your device is not listed above, please do not attempt to jailbreak AND if you rely on a software unlock, USE CUSTOM IPSW ONLY!**
What you need
- iOS 5.0.1 installed on your iDevice
- redsn0w 0.9.10b4 for OS X
- redsn0w 0.9.10b4 for Windows (be sure to run in Administrator mode)
How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 with redsn0w 0.9.10b1 on Mac or Windows: (Watch the videofor more details)
- Connect iDevice via USB to your computer
- Launch Redsn0w
If you are running redsn0w on Windows, you will need to do the following steps before launching the redsn0w:
- Right click on redsn0w.exe and select Properties
- Click Compatibility tab and check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” option and select Windows XP (Service Pack 3) from the dropdown menu.
- Click OK. Now you can launch redsn0w by double-clicking on redsn0w.exe
- Select Jailbreak
- Set your iDevice in DFU mode:
– Turn OFF iDevice
– Hold POWER button for 3 seconds
- Simultaneously hold POWER and HOME button for 10 seconds.
- Let go of the POWER button while still holding HOME button for 15 seconds.
- Once you’ve successfully entered DFU mode, RedSn0w will identify your firmware aka IPSW along with options, like: Install Cydia, Install custom bundle, Enable multitask gestures, Deactivate.
TIP: If auto-detection fails and redsn0w tells you no identifying data was found, you can always pre-select the appropriate 5.0.1 IPSW using “Extras->Select IPSW”.
- You just need to select “Install Cydia” option then click Next and let the process running.
MAKE SURE TO UNSELECT “Install Cydia” option if your device is already jailbroken
- Now you will see your iDevice preparing the Jailbreak data!
Enjoy!Now you have an iOS 5.0.1 Untethered Jailbreak on your iDevice with the iBooks issues fixed!!
Join SenseiPhone onFacebook https://www.facebook.com/SenseiPhone