How to Jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 with redsn0w 0.9.9b9d (Mac and Windows) [VIDEO]
December 21, 2011 in How-to Jailbreak by
Editor's Note: Factory Unlock your iPhone → http://unlock.senseiphone.com/
Jailbreak your iDevice running iOS 5.0.1!
Update #17d: iPhone3GS owners in our comments section below noticed a problem with the untethered jailbreak available for the old-bootrom 3GS. We’ve corrected that problem in 0.9.9b9d. If you have an old-bootrom 3GS and have already used last night’s redsn0w on it, you can re-run it again without losing anything. Just use this new version, go to Extras->IPSW and manually select the 5.0.1 IPSW, then go back and Jailbreak it again (but you can uncheck Cydia because it’s already installed). -iPhone Dev Team
**THIS IS A TETHERED JAILBREAK ONLY!**
WHAT IS A TETHERED JAILBREAK? A tethered jailbreak require a computer connection to boot a jailbroken iOS device. This meaning you will have to run Redsn0w and boot it up that way each time your battery dies or you need to reboot.
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- iPad 1
- iPhone 3GS
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
**If your device is not listed above, please do not attempt to jailbreak AND if you rely on a software unlock and don’t have an older boot rom, STAY AWAY from iOS 5 altogether.**
What you need
- Connect iDevice via USB to your computer
- Launch Redsn0w
If you are running redsn0w on Windows, you will need to do the following steps before launching the redsn0w:
- Select Jailbreak
- Set your iDevice in DFU mode:
- Turn OFF iDevice
- Hold POWER button for 3 seconds
- - Simultaneously hold POWER and HOME button for 10 seconds
- - Let go of POWER button while still holding HOME button for 15 seconds
- Once you’ve successfully entered DFU mode, RedSn0w will identify your firmware aka IPSW along with options, like: Install Cydia, Install custom bundle, Enable multitask gestures, Deactivate.
- You just need to select “Install Cydia” option then click Next and let the process running.
- Now you will see your iDevice preparing the Jailbreak data!
**Cydia & Safari will not work unless you do the following steps!**
- After RedSn0w finishes doing its thing, you must turn off again and boot up through Redsn0w
- Open RedSn0w and select ‘Extras‘
- Next you will click on ‘Just Boot’
- Again, set iDevice in DFU like in Step 4
- Your iDevice will perform a tethered boot and you will be good to go!
**Steps 7-9 is what you will ALWAYS have to do in order for iDevice to boot back up if battery dies or you reboot your iDevice. **
Join SenseiPhone on